We store our emotions in different parts of the body
For example, tension in the pelvic region, especially the pelvic floor, is often a storage bin for our shame and guilt. The body scan meditation is designed to help us listen to our bodies. Once we can listen to our bodies, we can learn ways elevate the emotional states causing the bad sensations we have in our bodies.
Body Scan Meditation Objectives:
- To reconnect the mind to the body
- Reestablish body awareness
- Discover the emotional state of the body
Body Scan Meditation Instructions
- Get into a comfortable but upright position or lie on your back flat, for full access to your lungs.
- Close your eyes and clear your mind by focusing on your breath. Shut out any outside thoughts. If your mind drifts, without judging, bring the attention back to the breath.
- Take 3 cleansing breaths
a. First breath in as much air as possible
b. Slowly exhale as much air as possible
c. Repeat 3 times. Each time try to inhale and exhale more air than before
- Take 3 belly breaths and with each breath retreat into your body by moving the attention to your third eye or the space between the eyes.
- Take 3 more breaths and with each breath move the focus to the root chakra located in the pelvic floor between the anus and genitals.
- Take notice of any sensation you may feel, the messages that pop into your mind. Do not judge them, just notice them.
- Repeat step 4 by returning the focus to your third eye
- Now take three breaths and transfer focus to the second chakra located in women on the pubic hair line and in men the patch of pubic hair just above the penis.
- Repeat step 6
- Repeat for each chakra
a. third Chakra is a bit higher about in 1to 2 inch below the breast bone
b. fourth is the heart
c. fifth is the throat
d. sixth is the third eye
e. seventh is the top of the head
- Repeat step 6
- Take three more cleansing breaths and open your eyes
- Write down what you discovered
Resnick, S. (2012). The Heart of Desire: Keys to the Pleasures of Love. Wiley. Kindle Edition.
If you’re not already subscribed, sign up now to get all our monthly sensation exercises delivered directly to your inbox.